According to the latest assessment report by IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), climate change is widespread, rapid and intensifying. Deteriorating environment due to use of conventional energy plagues the world today and all the industries can make a difference by stopping the use of fossil fuels – an increasingly expensive commodity that contributes to global warming. Strong and sustained reductions in CO2 emissions and other greenhouse gases (GHG) would help limit climate change.
Most multinational companies and large conglomerates have risen to the challenge, pledging ambitious sustainability goals for achieving net-zero carbon (or GHG) emissions in the next 10-15 years across their plants. Thermax partnered with one such multinational food major for their upcoming greenfield project in Gujarat, India.
In a move to generate cost savings and further their sustainability goals, the customer opted for green steam supply through Thermax biomass-fired boiler under the Build- Own-Operate (BOO) business model offered by Thermax Onsite Energy Solutions Limited (TOESL) – a subsidiary of Thermax.
The customer required steam for direct heating in the production of noodles and opted for agro-waste biomass fuels over natural gas for steam generation. Biomass and biofuels made from biomass are alternative energy sources to fossil fuels. It is a renewable and sustainable source of energy which is used to generate electricity, heat or other forms of power and is known to be carbon neutral.
Achievement of around 50% savings in Thermax value proposition under proposition under the build-own-operate model.
Biomass fuel mapping & responsible sourcing
- Fuel survey was undertaken for the particular site location to identify the availability of biomass fuels within a 300 km radius of the site
- Fuels identified: Biomass briquettes comprising of a mix of groundnut shell (GNS), saw dust, cashewnut shell, etc.
- Vendor development to establish fuel supply chain network from source to site
- Evaluation and guarantee of biomass price and available quantity over the course of the contract
Project assessment & outline
- Analysis of load patterns of the process plant
- Analysis of steam consumption by the processes – minimum, average and peak
- Evaluation of space available on-site for proposed project as well as space provision for future requirement
Technology selection & engineering
- Leveraged state-of-the-art, multi-fuel combustion technology by Thermax and provided optimised, highly efficient and sustainable offerings to the customer
- Appropriate air pollution control equipment provided, in accordance with the strict norms set by Gujarat Pollution Control Board
- Ancillary equipment provided for higher boiler uptime and performance, such as Danblast system – provided for online cleaning of boiler smoke tubes, thereby ensuring consistent heat transfer and higher boiler uptime
- Detailed engineering was undertaken to deliver customised high-end solutions
- Strict adherence to customer’s complete HSE guidelines for the design of the plant, in addition to Thermax guidelines
Installation & commissioning
Installed and commissioned the biomass-fired boiler along with boiler accessories, fuel and ash handling systems and air pollution control equipment as per agreed timelines
Operation & maintenance (O&M)
- Comprehensive O&M along with fuel, ash, chemicals, consumables and spares management provided by TOESL
- Deployment of experienced and trained manpower
- Routine regulatory compliance
- Maximise uptime and operating efficiency
- Online and remote performance monitoring
- Biomass fired boiler having automated air-cooled reciprocating grate (Lambion, German technology)
- Boiler type: Hybrid water and smoke tube design boiler (smoke tube in shells with water wall furnace)
- Boiler capacity: 16 TPH x 2 Nos.
- Boiler Fuel: Biomass Briquettes
BENEFITS TO CUSTOMER
- Decarbonisation – significant carbon savings against fossil fuels
- Guaranteed boiler uptime and efficiency throughout the product lifecycle
- Outsourced utility delivery based on agreed off-takes
- Complete capital expenditure of the equipment undertaken by TOESL – cash flow freed up for core business of customer
- Visibility of steam price for the entire contract duration of 10 years
- Dedicated biomass fuel supply chain ensuring consistent quality at the right price
On account of operating the biomass-fired boilers, the customer shall achieve an estimated CO2 reduction of over 16,000 tons annually.
Shashwati Kar, TOESL, A Thermax Group Company with Ritesh Chepuri, Marketing, Heating Business, Thermax Limited